Trump thanks supporters with drive by ‘visit’ outside Walter Reed
Good morning and welcome to Fox News First. Here’s what you need to know as you start your day …
Trump thanks supporters gathered outside hospital with surprise drive-by visit
President Trump Sunday tweeted out a video of himself at Walter Reed Medical Center, telling his followers he’s learned a lot about the novel coronavirus and teased his supporters gathered outside the hospital about “a little surprise.”
“We’re going to pay a little surprise to some of the great patriots that we have,” Trump said. “They’ve been out there for a long time and they’ve got Trump flags and they love our country so I’m not telling anybody but you but I’m about to make a little surprise visit.”
Shortly after sending out his tweet, the president made his surprise appearance when he briefly left the hospital and drove by, waved and gave a thumbs up to the groups of supporters gathered outside in Maryland before returning to Walter Reed shortly after.
The White House said that “appropriate precautions” were taken for Trump’s trip and that the drive was cleared by the medical staff at Walter Reed.
“I really appreciate all of the fans and supporters outside of the hospital,” the president tweeted Sunday. “The fact is, they really love our Country and are seeing how we are MAKING IT GREATER THAN EVER BEFORE!” CLICK HERE FOR MORE ON OUR TOP STORY.
In other developments:
– President Trump could return to WH ‘as early as tomorrow’ if conditions continue to improve, doctors say
– White House chief of staff Mark Meadows confirms Trump’s condition deteriorated on Friday
– Trump campaign senior adviser Steve Cortes says Trump ‘upbeat and assertive’ after coronavirus diagnosis
– Rep. McCarthy rips Pelosi for ‘unbecoming’ reaction to Trump coronavirus diagnosis: ‘rather disgusting’
– What is dexamethasone, the newest drug in Trump’s COVID-19 treatment?
– Trump receives ‘around the world’ national security briefing by phone due to COVID diagnosis
Biden up 14 points over Trump following chaotic debate, new poll reveals
A new NBC News/Wall Street Journal poll shows Democratic nominee Joe Biden with a 14 point lead nationally over President Trump, following the first presidential debate last week.
The survey was taken between Sept. 30 and Oct. 1 and covered 800 registered voters. It had a margin of error of around 3.5 percent.
The results showed 53 percent of respondents said they’d vote for the former vice president, compared to 39 percent for Trump.
The president has maintained, however, polling and pundit analysis of his White House chances contain overt bias and was part of the reason why he defeated Hillary Clinton, despite most experts’ predictions to the contrary.
The poll was also taken before the announcement about Trump testing positive for COVID-19. CLICK HERE FOR MORE.
In other developments:
– Biden plans to attend next debate, hopes Trump will be able to participate, campaign says
– Beto on Biden’s chances in Texas: It’s his to lose
– Trump and Biden supporters out in force across the swing state of Florida with election one month away
– Biden campaign pledges to disclose the result of every coronavirus test
– Trump’s COVID diagnosis thrusts coronavirus pandemic back to forefront of White House race
Pro-Armenia protesters shut down Hollywood traffic, demand support in conflict with Azerbaijan
Hundreds of protesters took to the streets and blocked traffic in Los Angeles Saturday, waving Armenian flags and holding up signs demanding the media pay attention to the conflict between Armenia and Azerbaijan, the LA Times reported.
Freeway traffic slowed in both directions around 9:30 p.m., Officer Don Conley of the California Highway Patrol said. By 10:15 p.m., demonstrators had forced the highway to close.
Traffic began to move again after 11 p.m.
The Armenian Youth Federation had organized an earlier protest that day, having already organized one outside the Azerbaijan consulate that drew over 1,000 people, CBS Los Angeles reported.
A clash on Sept. 27 resulted in Armenia instituting martial law and Azerbaijan declaring a state of war. Each nation deployed troops to the heavily contested Nagorno-Karabakh region, with intense fighting “along the entire front line,” according to Armenian Defense Ministry spokeswoman Shushan Stepanian. CLICK HERE FOR MORE.
In other developments:
– Syrian rebels reportedly sent to fight in Azerbaijan-Armenia conflict
– Armenia-Azerbaijan clashes: US, others must intervene as conflict escalates, experts say
– Armenia, Azerbaijan fighting kills dozens as tensions mount in decades-old conflict
– Portland man arrested after shattering patrol car window, pepper-sprayed interior: police
– ‘Sunday Night Football’ broadcasters ‘compelled’ by California officials to wear masks, Al Michaels says
– Portland restaurant owner stabbed by homeless patron refusing to pay bill: reports
– California city flag stolen, replaced by Trump campaign banner
– LeBron James walks off court in frustration before Game 3’s end: ‘This is not a good look’
THE LATEST FROM FOX BUSINESS:
– Millions of Americans in non-essential jobs feeling pain of coronavirus: report
– Boosted by positive reports from Trump doctors, oil fears dissipate as commodity rises 2% Monday
– Florida Disney properties to lose at least one quarter of staff through layoffs: report
– Coca-Cola announces plans to discontinue Zico coconut water, considering other less-popular brands as well
#TheFlashback: CLICK HERE to find out what happened on “This Day in History.”
SOME PARTING WORDS
Steve Hilton recapped President Trump’s ongoing recovery from COVID-19 on Fox News’ “The Next Revolution” Sunday night, praising Trump for making jokes about his wife Melania recovering quickly because she’s younger than him.
“But it’s also a sign of something deeper, too. The president’s recovery is a powerful symbol of America’s recovery. Yes, he got the virus because he was out there fighting for the country, not hiding in a basement,” Hilton said.
Not signed up yet for Fox News First? Click here to find out what you’re missing.
Fox News’ Go Watch page is now available, providing visitors with Pay TV provider options in their area carrying Fox News Channel & Fox Business Network.
Fox News First is compiled by Fox News’ Jack Durschlag. Thank you for making us your first choice in the morning! We’ll see you in your inbox first thing Tuesday.